Social media has grown to be a major focus of many companies’ marketing budgets, and video is the medium that claims a large portion of that attention – rightfully so!
Video continues to out-perform text and still images, and is a strong way to engage and educate across digital platforms like social media sites and apps.
Social Media Video Content
Let’s take a look at the strength and value of video on social overall:
- YouTube (a social media platform) receives the 2nd most traffic online, next to Google.
- 45% of people watch over an hour of Facebook or YouTube videos a week.
- Social video generates 1200% more shares than text and image content combined.
- 82% of Twitter users watch video content on Twitter.
Video vs. Other Types of Content
Let’s take a look at some recent stats comparing video to other types of content such as text or still images:
- Facebook videos receive 135% more organic reach on average than a Facebook photo.
- Blog posts that incorporate video attract three times as many inbound links as blog posts without video.
- Video ads appear in between the Instagram organic feed and have a high view rate.
- Facebook puts a lot of emphasis on video content, increading the frequency of the presence of video in the feed.
The enjoyment, engagement or popularity of a video can always be leveraged into producing powerful results. These statistics are a great reminder of the power of video marketing:
- Nearly 50% of internet users look for videos related to a product or service before visiting a store.
- Shoppers who view demo videos are 1.81 times more likely to make a purchase than non-viewers.
- Companies that use videos in their marketing have 27% higher clickthrough rate and 34% higher conversion rates than those that don’t.
- 65% of executives have navigated to a vendor’s site and 39% have called a vendor after watching a marketing video.
Rules to “Play” By
Here are some stats that support some general rules with regard to sharing video on social:
- 85% of Facebook videos are watched without sound.
- Nearly two-thirds of consumers prefer video under 60 seconds.
- 51% of all video plays are on mobile devices. Optimize your video for mobile viewing.
Video marketing continues to be a prime tactic for reaching and engaging audiences, customers and fans via social media. Understanding the best ways to craft your video content for maximum reach and effectiveness is crucial for today’s marketing professionals.